Monday, October 27, 2014

Nancy's Viva La Chicken Casserole

On our recent vacation, we ran by our storage unit and what did I find?  My old recipe box.  You know, the little box with a flip top that holds 3x5 cards with recipes?  I was idly going through mine and what did I find?  This casserole that was from my bestest friend, Nancy!  It is dated 9/91!  I also wrote it out in calligraphy, so this is during my phase when I was learning to write in Calligraphy.  Fun!   As I recall, it is delish!  Gonna add this to the repertoire SOON!!!!  Brings back such great memories of good friends and great times!

Ingredients:
4 Chicken Breasts
1 Can Cream of Chicken Soup
1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 1/2 Cans Ortega Green Chili Salsa
12 Corn Tortillas
1 Cup 1/2 & 1/2
1 Onion-grated
1 lb Cheddar Cheese-grated

Directions:
Cook chicken, debone & cut in pieces,
Cut tortillas in 1" squares
Mix soups, half and half, onion & salsa together
Spray 9x13 pan bottom with Pam
Place 1/2 of tortilla strips on bottom; 
cover with half of pieces of chicken. 
Add about 1/2 of sauce; 
repeat with balance of tortilla strips, chicken and balance of sauce. 
Top with shredded cheese. 
Refrigerate 24 hours. 
Bake at 300 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.

NOTE:  One time I forgot which way to layer the ingredients and put the chicken, sauce, tortillas, repeat and then topped with cheese.  The top layer of tortillas with the cheese on the top made a nice crispy top which was rather tasty!  That was made with flour tortillas, rather than corn.

I put this note on the card:  I substituted chili verde for salsa & flour tortillas for corn.  VERY GOOD!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment