Best White Cake Recipe
2 3/4 cups sifted cake flour (sift before measuring)
4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
4 egg whites
1 1/4 cups white sugar
3/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1. Measure sifted cake flour, baking powder, and salt; sift together a few times! This will make your cake more light and fluffy.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add 1/2 cup sugar gradually, and continue beating till the meringue holds stiff peaks. Test by pulling up your beaters in the meringue...if the meringue stands up and stays in a peak you are finished. Set aside.
3. Beat butter until smooth. Gradually add remaining 3/4 cup sugar, and cream together until light and fluffy. Add sifted ingredients alternately with milk a small amount at a time, beating after each addition until smooth. Mix in your extracts.
4. Add meringue, and fold it into your batter carefully.
5. Line your cake pan with parchment paper. Spread batter in your cake pan.
6. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 to 35 minutes.
7. Cool cake in pan 10 minutes, then remove from pan and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. This cake may also be baked in two 9 inch round pans for 30 to 35 minutes, or in three 8 inch round pans for 25 to 30 minutes.