Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Cherry Icebox Cookies (Collin Street Bakery hack)

From me:  I just made these today 2/11/15 and they are the ONLY cookie that I have found that I actually think are even BETTER after they are baked!  Man are these good!
I found these at Life with the Betsills.  The Author says: I LOVE cherry icebox cookies. Specifically those that come from Collin Street Bakery. Since it's a bit of drive to get to one, which is probably good thing, I'm resorting to making them at home. I have been looking for a recipe for them for sometime now. This one came from Taste of Home cookbook. These have been major hit with the husband

Cherry Icebox CookiesYields about 6 dozen

Ingredients:
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
4 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract  (I put in 2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and 2 1/2 tsp almond emulsion for extra cherry flavor)
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cream of tarter  (I didn't have any cream of tarter so I left it out--they are fine just possibly not as crispy so not essential if you don't already have any)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts  (I left the walnuts out)
1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries (that is about 1 jar chopped.  I chopped one jar pretty small and then the second jar I left in large pieces--i.e. I just hit my chopper 3 times so the pieces were large and added those because I LOVE cherry and can you REALLY get too many cherries????)




In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, cherry and lemon juices and vanilla.



Combine flour, backing soda, cinnamon and cream of tartar



Gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.




Stir in nuts and cherries. I omitted the nuts, and may have added more like 3/4 to 1 cup of chopped cherries.


I like cherries, and after all, they are cherry icebox cookies.



Shape into four 12-inch rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 hour or until firm


Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2in apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until the edges begin to brown.


Remove to wire racks to cool.
And enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment