Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Potato Stroganoff (Hamburger Helper Hack) Incl. Thrive Recipe

HAMBURGER HELPER POTATO STROGANOFF

FROM ME:  Okay, I admit it!  I LOVE Hamburger Helper Potato Stroganoff!!!!  Yes I DO!!!  But it is not that good for you and can you really justify the COST????  And what about all those ingredients you can't pronounce????  Right?????
Okay, so I found Chickens in the Road  where she shares how she makes convenience foods into real foods and it is so easy and MONEY SAVING and BETTER FOR YOU!!!!  Yeah...you read it right!  Better for you!  I used her recipe and in the future, I am thinking that I will try the recipe without the sugar and salt and see how it turns out.  It was REALLY GOOD!!!!  Yep and just as fast as making it from the box.
That said, I am always looking for ways to use my Emergency Freeze Dried Foods in recipes.  If I can make it 100% Emergency Food, then I can put it in a jar or bag and have it ready in a jiff for quick meals or in the camper--yay!!!!
This one lent itself easily to the 100% Emergency Food, so I am making some up and stashing it in the camper as we are about ready to head out!  I think all of the Hamburger Helper varieties would lend themselves easily to the Emergency Food stash, so I am making more of those varieties up for the camper.  I will just put them in Food Saver Vacuum Sealed bags and put the bags into a tin or plastic box to keep varmits from chewing through the bags.  Quick Homemade yummy camper meals in a jiff just by adding water and heat!  Even in the microwave!  Who could ask for more?????  :D

INGREDIENTS:
1 pound ground beef, 
1 cup hot water and 
2 cups milk (if you have sour cream, replace 1/2 cup of the milk with sour cream), and 
1 1/2 cups very thinly sliced or diced potatoes, 
Sauce packet
1 tablespoon corn starch, 
2 teaspoons garlic powder, 
1 teaspoon onion powder, 
1 teaspoon parsley, 
1 teaspoon salt, 
1 teaspoon sugar, and 
1/2 teaspoon pepper 
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms (opt)

DIRECTIONS:
Cook crumbled ground beef until done
Drain Fat
Add 1 c hot water and potatoes
Bring to a boil and then simmer until potatoes are done then add
Sauce packet mixture
Add sauce packet ingredients to milk and stir to combine (corn starch needs to be added to cold product)
Simmer until thick
Enjoy!


EMERGENCY FOOD SUPPLY RECIPE

INGREDIENTS:
2 1/2 c FD Beef Crumbles 
1 c FD Potato Dices 
1 c FD Mushroom Pieces (opt)
5 c Water (5 1/2 c Water if including Mushrooms)


3 T FD Powdered Milk (or 2 T Instant Milk) 
1 C FD Sour Cream Powder 
1 T Corn Starch
2 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Parsley
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Sugar
1/2 tsp Pepper

INSTRUCTIONS:
Place all ingredients in pan or skillet
Add 5 c Water (5 1/2 c water if including mushrooms)
Stir to combine
Heat on high to boiling
Reduce and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until thick and creamy.


No comments:

Post a Comment