Sunday, August 14, 2016

Hummingbird Food

Basically, I use a strong mixture in the spring or when I want to steal them from a neighbor. That is:
sugar to water 1:1. 

It can be mixed as lean as about ¼ cup sugar to 1 cup water. 

I use the lean version in summer when I want to keep mold at bay or if I want to see the birds coming around more. 
They will come and feed more with the lean mixture as they need the calories. 

I just boil the water (you want it to be pretty sterile anyway so you don’t mold as quickly) and then add the water and stir it in and then boil it some more until the sugar is totally dissolved. 
I just do it in a quart canning jar in the microwave and then I can put the lid on it and store until I need to refill. 

Those little buggers can eat though and a quart won’t even last a day once you get a good flock of them! 
Are they flocks? 
I am not sure…
Okay. According to a site on the internet, they are called a Charm. 
That does seem to fit them! A Charm of Hummingbirds….

No comments:

Post a Comment