Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Hummus


















Hummus

INGREDIENTS

2 cups drained well-cooked or canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans), liquid reserved
1/2 cup Tahini (sesame paste), optional, with some of its oil
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus oil for drizzling
2 cloves garlic, peeled, or to taste
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 tablespoon ground cumin or paprika, or to taste, plus a sprinkling for garnish
Juice of 1 lemon, plus more as needed
Chopped fresh parsley leaves for garnish
(NOTE:  cut tahini and oil in half but make up the other 1/4 c with sour cream and cut back on other liquids)
Add liquids last to be sure of the right texture


PREPARATION

1. Put everything except the parsley in a food processor and begin to process; add the chickpea liquid or water as needed to allow the machine to produce a smooth puree.
2. Taste and adjust the seasoning (I often find I like to add much more lemon juice). Serve, drizzled with the olive oil and sprinkled with a bit more cumin or paprika and some parsley.


NOTES from comments section:
1) This is *almost* my exact recipe, except I like to add about 1/4 cup sour cream for extra creaminess and you can cut back on some of the liquids to keep it from getting runny.
2) The only thing I do is add MORE Garlic. I could see where people might not want as much tahini, it can be a little chalky with this much.
3)Very easy and good. I agree with previous poster that roasting the garlic would take away some harshness. I also cut the tahini and olive oil in half but made up the difference with sour cream which makes it a lighter version.
4)I cut the tahini paste down to 1/4 cup. I used half of the liquid from the canned garbanzo beans. Since the instructions weren't clear on whether to use cumin or paprika I used 1/2 TBSP of each. Once you get to this point it's all of personal preference. For example, I also wound up adding an extra 1/4 c of olive oil (but that's because I like it really smooth and creamy - this is my preference). If the recipe had gotten the tahini right, I would have given this 4 stars. TIP: If your Tahini is hard with oil on top, it's old or needs to be mixed. The best thing to do is to dumb the whole thing in a blender and mix it up. Then scoop out your 1/4 cup or how ever much you want to use.
5)This pretty much the way I've settled on for making humus. I soak a cup of raw beans over night before cooking them for about an hour next day. Save the cooking water to thin recipe if needed. I think raw garlic a little harsh, so I cook minced garlic in the olive oil until golden & then add garlic and oil to recipe. Everyone really likes my humus this way.

Recipe from:  http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/hummus-237832

No comments:

Post a Comment