Friday, August 19, 2016

Quick Tamale Pie


Quick Tamale Pie





Quick Tamale Pie

1 polenta roll (Note:  I didn't use the polenta roll)
9 oz southwestern chicken strips (or half a rotisserie chicken)  (Note:  I made my chicken with my Fajita Seasoning mix instead of using premade strips or rotisserie chicken)
1 15-oz can chili beans  (Note:  I used half black beans and half red kidney beans instead of canned beans)
1 cup mexican cheese blend
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup salsa
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper  (Note:  I didn't use the cayenne in mine this time and I think my taco seasoning would be good or a bit more fajita seasoning in lieu of the spices listed here)
cilantro, sour cream and additional salsa for serving
NOTE:  I also added some minced onion--just put it in first and sweat it.

Grease a 10-inch cast iron skillet (or 9-inch square pan) with a little olive oil. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350.

In a large bowl combine the chicken strips, corn kernels, salsa, chili beans (and their juice—just dump the can in) and spices. Stir well to combine.

Slice the polenta into 1/4th inch slices. Cover bottom of skillet with overlapping slices. Pour bean mixture on top. Top with cheese.

Cover and bake for 15 minutes then remove and bake for an additional 15 minutes uncovered. Serve with minced cilantro, sour cream and salsa.

NOTE:  Since I didn't use the polenta, I baked the other ingredients in cast iron pan, then wrapped it in a flour tortilla with some salsa and sour cream.  Not fond of cilantro, so didn't include that.  Very tasty!
Found at:  http://www.plainchicken.com/2011/10/quick-tamale-pie.html

No comments:

Post a Comment