Thursday, November 6, 2014

Grandma's Rice



I found this over at Tracey's Kitchen.  Tracey says:  The picture doesn't do this justice. I love casseroles, especially ones with rice and ground beef. This one I found a few months ago and made it tonight to bring to a friend who is a new mom. The recipe can be found at allrecipes.com but after making a few of my own modifications (like omitting olives and bacon), I'm writing out the details here.  My Note:  I just might have to add the bacon back in!  She mentions that you stir in the cooked rice but doesn't tell how much to add.  I think about 2-3 cups cooked rice should be about right.  I think this may be the original recipe she alludes to and it calls for 6 strips of crumbled bacon.

Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef

6 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled (opt)
1/3 cup chopped onion (I used dried minced onion)
1/2 cup shopped green pepper
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 bag frozen corn
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt (optional) - I omitted
1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1 tsp melted butter

4 c cooked rice

Instructions:

Cook the beef, onion and green pepper in a large skillet over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
Stir in the cooked rice, tomatoes, corn, chili powder, garlic powder and (optional) salt. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
Add 1 cup of cheese, stir until melted.
Transfer to a greased baking dish (I used 9 x 13-in). Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Toss bread crumbs with the melted butter and sprinkle over the top.
Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.We like eating this with french bread. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment